Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Acknowledging the Lighting Problem

I know, it's true, I have too many lamps.  Currently there are six in my living room, let's not talk about how many I have in storage.  I keep buying more in the hopes that somehow someday I will figure out how to light my living room w/out overhead lighting.  I know overhead lighting is often considered a design no-no, but seriously, who wants to 'live' in a dark cave?  I like being able to see my family - they're cute!  Yes, I do love my lamps (well most of them - there are a few that need a little lovin') but sometimes they can feel like too much of a good thing, particularly at night when I have to walk around and turn them all off!

Seriously, in my next house I'm going to pass up any house that doesn't at least have recessed lighting in the ceiling of the living room.  Until then, I will continue to collect astounding numbers of lamps and struggle with a my own personal 'enough light vs. cluttered room' battle.  Right now the lamps are winning.

This is my new pretty.  I bought the base for $1.00 at a yard sale.  The shade, which is in perfect condition, was a little more pricy at $5.00 at a local thrift store.

I painted the base, which was the ubiquitous medium oak, a pretty gray.  I mixed the gray myself so I can't tell you what color it is.  I then roughed it up a bit and dry brushed over it with a teal glaze.

I wasn't sure this shade would work with the chunky base, but I really love how the feminine lines of the shade compliment and soften the substantial base.  Plus, heaven knows this house needs all the help it can get in the 'soft and feminine' department.


Here is a close up of the base.  It's easy to let the lamps have a few wins when some of them are this lovely!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover