Monday, July 23, 2012

Lorraine - French Country Sweetheart Dresser

Lorraine was quite pretty when she came to me. . . However, she still had the look of an awkward teenager.  Her drawer fronts were stained a bright red and since her original top had split, a top with a light maple veneer had been glued over the top of her.  She was ready and needed a little help transitioning to a lovely young lady.


After a good cleaning, a de-glossing, and some gray primer over the parts of her that were red, I painted her a warm white color (Behr's Magnolia Blossom - which I had mixed into a chalk paint.)


I then randomly applied three washes in increasingly brownish cream colors (I simply mixed a bit of brown or yellow ocher into a bit of watered down cream.)


 I used a clean brush with water to blend the colors while they were still wet.


Then I distressed her - and let me tell you what, that paint did not want to come off.  I would have liked her to be a bit more distressed, but she really wanted to hang onto her new coat of paint!
I love her legs and antique casters.  So sweet.


I painted the top in several coats of Ace's Besalt and sanded between each coat.


Here's a close up of the applique on the cabinet door.  You can tell it was hand carved.   


I finished her off with a coat of dark wax.  I buffed the entire thing, but the top I buffed with a horse hair brush (the kind men use the shine their shoes) to give it some extra gleam.

I also tried something new and exciting on the hardware for this piece.  I had my own little alchemy/ chemistry project going on in my kitchen.  The top is before, the bottom is after.  I'll post a how-to on how to get old brass handles that beautiful, warm, brownish color soon.


_______________________________

Lorraine is for sale.  You can see pricing an dimensions on my Portfolio and Available page.   You may also see other pieces I have revived on that page.

_______________________________

I will be sharing Lorraine at the following link parties:
You're Talking Too Much's Meet Me Monday
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday 
The Dedicated House: Make it Pretty Monday 
Primitive and Proper's: Piece of Work Wednesday 
Elizabeth and Co's: Be Inspired  
Domestically Speaking's: Power of Paint 
Miss Mustard Seed's: Furniture Feature Friday 

12 comments :

  1. The color washes you used are lovely. Very nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just lovely! Beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Meet Me Monday. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the party. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. the washed look is gorgeous on this piece- very rustic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece! The top in black is just perfect : o ) Detailed medallions are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your little sweetheart dresser...you did a beautiful job refinishing it. I especially like the way you've blended your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this piece!!! Gorgeous detailing -
    Definitely your newest follower - would love
    to have you visit and follow back
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Megan! This is beautiful!! Awesome job with the finish ~ absolutely stunning!!! Shelly Andrade

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful-wish I had a place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im in love! lol this is outstanding and the colors! great choices great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a cool piece! And I love the rustic feel you achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I'm going to follow, 'cause those handles- whoa!
    lively-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love its rustic look and victorian shape. Such a perfect combination:)

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog (FB and GFC).

    The Quiet Mom blogging @ How to Cook Fresh Artichoke Recipe

    Also, don't miss this: 12 Major Reasons to Use Self-Hosted WordPress for Blogging and Selling Your Products Online + Custom Blog or Social Network Button Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover