Monday, May 7, 2012

Phoebe's Dresser

I love Seattle.  They have the BEST yard sales.  I wasn't even LOOKING!

This is what I found. . .


Isn't she horrible?  Actually, she is incredibly beautiful. The bottoms of the drawers are made of bird's eye maple.  It's been a long time since furniture was made with such care and quality workmanship.  She was pretty beat up, though.

I sanded down the drawer fronts and the top.  Notice the second drawer down, though.  It had a thick wood veneer in three panels over the drawer front with the grain of the wood going in the opposite direction of the other drawers.  When I stained it it looked strange, so I needed a new solution.


I painted the top and bottom of the drawer the same color as the body of the dresser, then I used piece of sheet metal grating (not sure what's it's intended function was) as a stencil on top of the stain on the middle panel. 


The panels were divided by a thin rounded piece of wood that was originally painted gold.  I painted them red- like furniture racing stripes!  



The knobs were off of a dresser I refinished last year.  I always hang on to old knobs, and here's a good example of why!  A little extra red jewelry to match her racing stripes!


Just a bit of distressing and a top coat of dark wax gives the pale gray paint a bit of age, interest, and protection.


This little girl is in the running for my favorite furniture revival of all time. 

 



And I'm rarely organized enough to have a side by side before and after, but since I'm playing favorites anyway!

 _______________________________________

Phoebe's Dresser is for sale.  See the Portfolio and Available page for details.

_______________________________________

I'm sharing at:
Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On 
Elizabeth & Co's: Be Inspired 
Restore Interiors: Restore it Wednesday 
Miss Mustard Seed's: Furniture Feature Friday




13 comments :

  1. Megan, you are amazing!! You never cease to amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you get people's email addresses from the yard sale so you can show them what you did to their junk?

    I love your creative thinking with those stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing!!!!! You should submit to some design blogs- I'm sure they would feature it. I would have never thought of all of the changes you made, but it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome!!! i love what you did with the metal as a stencil and love the red knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant solution to your design dilemma! love the stencil and pops of red!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I love the red handles against the wood! The stencil looks awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT MAKEOVER. Love the red POPs of color.
    Im now following you. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and maybe you'll follow back?? THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dresser and i would love to feature it, let me know if that would be ok with you,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to come check out the yard sales in Seattle! What a gorgeous makeover! Genius stencil idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Doesn't even look like the same dresser! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm with Danielle....it SOOOOOO does not look like the same dresser! I would not have thought to do that!
    I'm a new follower now.
    Follow back?
    Www.propheticwings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great makeover! Love the finished product, love the grate!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your creative solution for that top drawer. It really makes this such a unique piece! And as a lover of all things pink, I really found those drawer pulls eye-catching. Brava.

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover