Sunday, June 5, 2011

Vintage Love

So, it turns out my great story about the redemption of a long forgotten nightstand by the daughter of the original re-finisher is not accurate.  In fact, it's total bunk.  You know when someone says something to you and you take it to mean something else.  Yeah. 

It turns out that the dresser lived in my sister's basement for many years.  She isn't sure where it came from, but she's asking her husband so we can unearth the mystery!  I'll keep you updated.

In the mean time. . .  I told you about the giant trailer full of treasures that my parents brought up to me when they visited last month.  I thought I would do a series of posts about some of my favorite things that were in that trailer along with some of my own favorite finds.

The item in the trailer I was most excited about was this quilt.

  

Oh how I love vintage quilts. 


This one is particularly special because my grandmother made it.  It has been in her house for as long as I can remember.  Once, while I was visiting with her, I was admiring it and told her that if she ever decided to get rid of it that I would like it.   Well, a few months ago they began rearranging some of their furniture and their rooms and, wouldn't know, the bed this quilt was on was headed to my sister's house.  My wonderful grandma remembered that I loved the quilt and instead of putting it away in a linen closet she sent it up to me with my parents. Aren't grandma's the best!!!


The back in yellow polka dots and to add to the sentimentality of the quilt, my nephew's newborn photos were taken against the backing and used in his birth announcement.  


It is a full sized quilt, made of 8 inch squares, tied at each corner w/ yellow and green yarn, and hand bound.  


There are 26 different prints and 7 solid blocks.  My grandma put them together in a 'perfectly random' combination.  Here are a few of my favorite combinations of blocks.


Thank you, Grandma.  This truly is a much cherish treasure in our family.  In fact, John Henry has 'borrowed' it the last two nights to sleep with.  Eventually it will take up permanent residence downstairs in our entertainment/ play room to keep us all toasty while we enjoy a movie.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover