Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Embrace the Adventure

Sometimes you set out for the ocean and you end up in the mountains.  Sometimes your GPS fails.  Sometimes you prepare for Cozumel and end up in Helsinki.

I love the ocean and the mountains.
I think my GPS box is possessed.
I would love to go to either Helsinki or Cozumel.

Sometimes I just need to be reminded that even though it might be frustrating to only have a bathing suit to wear skiing, that with some creativity and flexibility I can probably figure out that even if I can't go skiing, I will very much enjoy relaxing in the ski lodge's hot tub while taking in the beauty of the mountains around me!

With that in mind, I decided to create a sign to help me remember to "Embrace the Adventure."  I wanted it to have an old skiing/hunting/mountain lodge feel to it.  Not my style, but then, isn't that one of the main purposes of this blog?  For me to learn to marry my love of eclectic shabby chic with log house design and for all of you to enjoy watching me stubble through it!


So here it is hanging on the wagon wheel that is on the front of our house.  Yes, we have a real, full sized wagon wheel on our house.  No, I didn't put it there, it came with the house.


I made it from a beat up piece of plywood from our scrap pile.  I didn't even bother to paint the board before I painted the letters on.  They are hand painted, by-the-way.  I wanted it to look hand painted and rustic, so I figured what better way than to actually hand paint it.

After the letters were painted I glazed it with three different colors, roughed it up and bit and well. . .

As a friend of mine would say- It was an adventure.


_____

Hey, the boys and I also found yet another awesome use for drop cloths.  Come find us on facebook to see how we put it to work today.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover