Thursday, December 2, 2010

Take Comfort

When it looks like this outside.


I want to feel warm on the inside.  For me that means soup.  Link and I are huge soup fans.  However, the thing that really makes soup great, warm, fresh baked, heavenly rolls.


This is actually my mom's bread stick recipe, either way, long and thin or round and fat, they are my ultimate comfort food.

2 C. + 3 T. warm water
1/8 cup yeast (or three packets)
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 C. shortening, butter or margarine
1/8 C. sugar
5 C. flour

I use my Kitchenaid mixer with a bread hook on it to mix the dough.  Combine all the ingredients except for the flour.  Turn on your mixer, then slowly add 1 C. of flour at a time.  Let it mix until it's "soft but not sticky".  (It always seems sticky to me, though.  If I can get it out of the mixing bowl w/out too much trouble, that is the right consistency.)  Cover and let raise for at least 30 min.  Punch the dough down and divide it in two.  Shape into balls for rolls or snakes for bread stick and lay on a slightly greased cookie sheet. 



When my mom makes these into bread sticks she brushes them with butter then sprinkle Parmesan cheese and Salad Supreme on them.  TO. DIE. FOR.

When I make rolls I just leave em alone.

Let rise for at least 15 min.

Preheat oven to 400*, bake 10-15 min.  (here at 843 ft - 12 min, is perfect.)

Let them cool just long enough so that you don't burn your mouth when you eat them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover