Friday, June 22, 2012

Sveta's Settee

OK, so this really isn't a settee, as it has no sides or back, but Lincoln and I debated and couldn't decide what to call it.  A bench?  An ottoman?  Nothing really seemed right, so I went with the word I liked the sound of.


Sveta is the name of one of my dearest friend's little girl.  This is her mama's color, but this is perfect toddler bench height as Leo has repeatedly demonstrated.  Plus, she's wearing the sweetest skirt!

I do wish I had a before pic to show you.  It was horrible.  Even John Henry was grossed out.  Under brittle and broken vinyl in a loud 1970's olive green print, was deteriorated cotton batting.

I did, however, remember to take a few pictures of the process.

Here she is in her underclothes.  I couldn't find my batting, but I had an extra mattress cover from the futon that we sold when we moved here.  I cut that up and used it as the batting.  It worked beautifully. 

 I made the piping from cotton cording and several strips of drop cloth sewn end to end.  Miss Mustard Seed has a great tutorial on this here.


Then I made the ruffle.


Do you all know about the best way to make a ruffle if you don't have a ruffle foot for your sewing machine (which I don't.)  Increase your stitch width to the widest it will go, then hold onto your thread while your sewing, letting it slip from your fingers every few stitches.  It takes some practice to get the hang of without breaking your thread, but it is FAR easier than trying to gather the fabric later.


Back to the zipper foot to attach the piping to the ruffle.  Be sure to leave enough room for the staples.


 Then staple the ruffle on from the underside as close to the cording as possible.


800,000 staples later. . . .

TADA!


Isn't the shape so much fun (although that curve was a royal pain to upholster.)


 Custom piping for some lovely contrast.



__________________________

Sveta is for sale.  See my available page for details.

I will be sharing at:
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
Primitive and Proper's Piece of Work Wednesday 


4 comments :

  1. That's awesome! You make refurnishing look like something I could actually try to do some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Z., you totally could! Have you noticed that badge at the top of my blog? To live a creative life we must loose the fear of being wrong. It truly believe that. I have often said that my only real talent is not being afraid to mess something up. Choose something that isn't precious and have at it!

      Delete
  2. Love it!!!! It is so unique and I would never have had such a vision for something like that. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is adorable! i love the skirt and piping and love the shade of green!

    ReplyDelete

Whatta ya think?

Pin It button on image hover